Legacy Motors Presents FORUM 64
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Go Back   Diecast Forums – Forum 64 – Diecast Zone > Diecast Forums > 1/64 Scale Models

Old 04-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Default Being new here, I am interested in other peoples opinions.

I Have played with 1:64 diecast since the early 80s but they were the kids toys. Now I am collecting the good detail cars. I started out with pickup trucks first.
I have been collecting 1:64 for about 3 years and have formed opinions about the manufacturers of the cars I have collected [over 90 in collection, dozens given to the twelve grand-kids]. I can only speak from what I observed. From favorite to least liked. Please remember I am speaking American cars, since that is all I collect.

M2 Castline
Greenlight
Auto World
Yat Ming
Maisto
Matchbox
Johnny Lighting
Hot Wheels

They all seem to have a couple of price points but I am generalizing here; what is the opinion of you guys on the Forum here? Rate them and the ones I don't have.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 PM

I would rate mine as
Greenlight
Autoworld
Shelby Collectibles
M2 Castline
Matchbox
Johnny Lightning
Hot Wheels

I have many others but picked the main ones in my collection. I have been collecting 1:64
since I was 5. Have over 1200 pcs in my collection. Matchbox, specifically the older Lesney are dear to my heart, but the scale is always so much different from car to car. As is Johnny Lightning, but they used to have such fantastic subject matter, I have quite a few of them. Greenlight is by far the most interesting, but even they have reduced their offerings lately. Autoworld is fast becoming a favorite, but I have a lot of trouble finding them in my area. So eBay is my only higher priced option. M2 Castline has some fantastic model choices, but I have had considerable quality fit & finish issues. Shelby Collectibles may not produce anymore because I haven't seen anything new in some time. And Hot Wheels, well they are what they are, mainly marketed for kids. My Grandson loves them.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:22 PM

M2 has three different price points and it shows. The good ones come with a hard plastic display case, the cheaper ones are bubble wrapped the with bases, and the cheapest are just loose in the hard plastic bubble wrap. When they have them Wally Mart $ 5.99, $3.59, $ 3.00 +-.
I had quite a few Lesney and Matchbox way back in the 50s to match the HO train lay out I made. What scale is HO, 1:87? Never compared the two but HO is smaller than 64th if memory serves me.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Administrator

I'm like the two of you guys................

Hot Wheels just does not push my buttons..................

I would have to say that M2 would be in my top slot with greenLight a close second.

I like the Auto-Thentics probably the best out of the line although they are becoming far and few ............I would really like to see them move the AT to the drivers series with stock wheel and tires maybe throw in a few mags.

With GreenLight I have the same problem with them as everyone else seems to have.....................the steamroller tires..............

Lately with these two companies the QC issues are to much to bear.........

With all the repaints and QC problems it seem to me that we have seen this before in other scales.............that are no more.

A sign of the times.........or of what is to come????

AW is just another JL only to scale............. to me most of what I have gotten is not as "mind blowing" as most collectors make them out to be and again the QC is suffering......................

Lee

Old 04-14-2014, 11:13 PM

Seems to me scale model cars are on the way of the Mid-size low option Muscle car. Only older men love them to bring back memories and gives a social talking point. Young folks only seem to appreciate bright multicolored, plastic, touch control, electronic device that holds all knowledge so they don't have to remember anything except how to touch a screen. Soon to be a Star Trek type talk to the plastic electronic device; save the ware and tear on the finger or thumbs. OOPS, my age is showing.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush View Post
I Have played with 1:64 diecast since the early 80s but they were the kids toys. Now I am collecting the good detail cars. I started out with pickup trucks first.
I have been collecting 1:64 for about 3 years and have formed opinions about the manufacturers of the cars I have collected [over 90 in collection, dozens given to the twelve grand-kids]. I can only speak from what I observed. From favorite to least liked. Please remember I am speaking American cars, since that is all I collect.

M2 Castline
Greenlight
Auto World
Yat Ming
Maisto
Matchbox
Johnny Lighting
Hot Wheels

They all seem to have a couple of price points but I am generalizing here; what is the opinion of you guys on the Forum here? Rate them and the ones I don't have.
Hi Brush

Firstly, welcome to Forum 64. Secondly, which of the above manufacturers actually make their models/toys in 1:64th scale? My personal experience is with Matchbox and Hot Wheels - both new and vintage. These two once extreme competitors have now been united for many years. Care of Mattel’s takeover of MB! Their toys have always been made to a “scale” that fits the prescribed dimensions of the packaging be it a card box or blister. If it was 1:64th scale it was by accident not design! Hot Wheels have issued true to 1:64th scale models in their collectors editions.

In addition to those you have mentioned I have 1:64th scale models by Minichamps, Kyosho, AUTOart and Tomica TEC. All of these are superb models and worth looking out for. Models in these ranges of USA cars are slim on the ground.