Legacy Motors Presents FORUM 64
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Old 10-24-2016, 08:36 PM

Default Two Portholemobiles,,,

Johnny Lightning made these neat little Oldsmobiles....

Old 10-25-2016, 10:26 AM

I've always liked those 1950 Olds Super 88 models by Johnny Lightning. They made many very attractive color combinations for them, including a two-tone light and dark green, a light pale yellow, plus the colors you show. Racing Champions also made 1:64 diecast models of the 1950 Oldsmobile 88 in maroon, emerald green, and two-tone silver and black. I also have an M2 1950 Oldsmobile Futuramic 88 in solid black - perhaps the most attractive one of all. Truly beautiful classic Oldsmobiles. But I must ask you: What is meant by "Portholemobiles"? Just my ignorance, I'm sure, but I am curious about that term. Thanks for posting those beautiful cars.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 PM

Default Portholemobiles....

A number of years ago, the automotive manufactures started going after small companies selling model cars without a license (fee). These small companies then switched to slang to describe the brand name they could not use as license fees were insanely costly.

I posted this late at night when I was half asleep. Port Hole Mobile is not slang for Oldsmobiles. its insider slang for Buick. Buick had portholes. This translated to use of Port Hole Mobile, ie Buick. I cant recall what Oldsmobiles were called in model builder slag.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:28 AM

"Port Hole Mobile is not slang for Oldsmobiles. its insider slang for Buick."

Ahhh. Now it makes sense. Had you used that expression to describe Buicks I likely would have understood the reference to 'portholes'. The 'portholes' along the front quarter panels of Buicks continued long after their functionality ceased, but remained as a classy design element. The familiar three or four 'portholes' on either side represented whether the engine was a six cylinder (3 portholes on either side) or an eight cylinder (4 portholes on either side). In later years there were even colored lights placed inside the characteristic portholes.

Interesting history on the licensing fee history for the diecast manufacturers. Thank you for sharing that.

Edited to add:

I was almost certain that I had once read that the number of ports on the front fenders (and sometimes on the hood) depicted the number of cylinders of the engine [a six cylinder (3 portholes on either side) or an eight cylinder (4 portholes on either side)]. But as I thought about it I realized that Buicks of this vintage were only available with 8 cylinder engines (in-line 8: 1946-1952, and later V8: 1953 and later). Sorry to mislead anyone by perpetuating this old urban legend. Of course, you can probably get a Buick today with a 4 cylinder, but when a Buick was a Buick, they were all 8 cylinder cars.

Last edited by 56tbird; 10-26-2016 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56tbird View Post
"Port Hole Mobile is not slang for Oldsmobiles. its insider slang for Buick."

Ahhh. Now it makes sense. Had you used that expression to describe Buicks I likely would have understood the reference to 'portholes'. The 'portholes' along the front quarter panels of Buicks continued long after their functionality ceased, but remained as a classy design element. The familiar three or four 'portholes' on either side represented whether the engine was a six cylinder (3 portholes on either side) or an eight cylinder (4 portholes on either side). In later years there were even colored lights placed inside the characteristic portholes.

Interesting history on the licensing fee history for the diecast manufacturers. Thank you for sharing that.

Edited to add:

I was almost certain that I had once read that the number of ports on the front fenders (and sometimes on the hood) depicted the number of cylinders of the engine [a six cylinder (3 portholes on either side) or an eight cylinder (4 portholes on either side)]. But as I thought about it I realized that Buicks of this vintage were only available with 8 cylinder engines (in-line 8: 1946-1952, and later V8: 1953 and later). Sorry to mislead anyone by perpetuating this old urban legend. Of course, you can probably get a Buick today with a 4 cylinder, but when a Buick was a Buick, they were all 8 cylinder cars.
The later portholes were used to designate the levels of the model.3 were used on the Special and Century.The Century was the same as the Special,but used the larger displacement v8 from the Roadmaster.All of the upper level models used 4 portholes 958-1959,NO portholes for any models.