Legacy Motors Presents FORUM 64
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Go Back   Diecast Forums Forum 64 Diecast Zone > Diecast Forums > Vintage Diecast

Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Are you still interested in collecting vintage toys?

There have been many manufacturers in the past producing toy cars and vehicles. Do these still play a part in your current collecting interests?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:14 PM

I do have some toy cars and trucks in my collection and i have them because i had them when i was a kid or because they look so much like the real thing. I have a 1990's GMC Suburban Fire/Rescue that looks really cool, about 1/16 scale, working lights and siren. The only draw back is that the buttons to work everything is on the right side door otherwise i looks really close to the real thing. I have some others with working lights an such.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

That fire truck sounds very interesting Allan. Just love old toys that do things!

I still have some of my childhood toys. Plus I am interested in toy car history and development so I will add models when I can locate them and they are cheap!
Old 01-07-2015, 03:16 PM

It was my childhood interest in collecting Matchbox cars long ago that triggered my present day interest in collecting 1:64 scale diecast cars, over 50 years later. On a quiet day of introspection and reflection about two years ago, I found myself reminiscing about a modest collection of approximately 15 Matchbox cars that I assembled in 1958, as a kid in New Hampshire. These cars were carefully and individually chosen whenever my allowance reached the magic sum of 49, the cost of individual Matchbox cars at the time. After spending much time studying the rotating Matchbox display at the local 5 and 10 store I would carefully select the next addition to my collection. I have no idea where these cars are today, but I decided to see if it would be possible to replicate that collection today, from memory. There may have been more than fifteen cars back then, but these specific fifteen were vivid memories, indelibly imprinted on my mind. I was surprised how easy it was to replicate the collection through purchases on eBay; it took no more than a few months to assemble them all. There was an important learning curve, to identify those cars which were manufactured pre-1958 (gray wheels, etc.), and a couple of mistakes were made and later corrected, but this core collection of 15 Matchbox cars is now prominently displayed in an acrylic display case alongside my other 1:64 diecast cars.

I also have a few larger Tonka trucks from my childhood, including a 1953 (?) red pickup, and a similar year Green Giant tractor trailer, along with a Nylint 'Michigan' crane and an older Structo tractor trailer, all in beautiful condition and displayed alongside my 1:64 diecast cars. One day these will all go to my grandchildren, but for now I am enjoying the hobby of collecting them, all spawned from that little Matchbox collection.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Hi 56tbird

I think those Matchbox 1-75’s can lay claim to getting most of us hooked on die-cast toy cars. Luckily for me I still have most of the originals I played with when I was a kid. After play I kept them in Matchbox collectors cases. These two cases held the collection together and stopped them being displaced elsewhere.