Legacy Motors Presents FORUM 64
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Go Back   Diecast Forums Forum 64 Diecast Zone > Diecast Forums > 1/64 Scale Models

Old 02-17-2017, 03:20 AM

Default Minor surgery to M2 1957 Mercury. Removing the continental kit.

The 57 Merc by M2 is in a great color, but suffers from the not uncommon M2 poor door fit. It looks much worse when shown larger than actual size in photos. Worse, for me, was that ugly growth on the rear. I have never liked continental kits, and this one had to go.

I chose not to correct the door misalignment until I did the cont kit surgery, and as it was so successful, I'll now go back and fix the door alignment. I am not sure if I can bend it down, and if I snap it, I will just epoxy it back, I dont care for opening doors as much as having a good closed door fit.

Removing the continental kit was actually quite easy. I was able to separate the cont kit completely from the car, and then carefully pried off the rear bumper from the continental kit itself. Then it was just a matter nof reinstall the rear bumper to the rear, fits right on.

I’ve show the parts in the photos. I will also need to cut a bit off the exhaust as it’s a bit longer than the version without the kit.

Last edited by mcjbob; 02-17-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:02 AM

While I cannot agree that Continental Kits are "ugly growths" (I happen to like them on many of the 1950's cars, like the Johnny Lightning 1956 Thunderbird, for example), I must agree that the 'minor surgery' you preformed on your 1957 Mercury Turnpike came out very well. I will be very interested to see updates, with the exhaust pipes shortened, and maybe with the doors hung straight. It takes a great deal of patience and skill to work on these 1:64 scale diecast models, but the results can often be very gratifying.

I have two examples of the M2 1957 Mercury Turnpike, one in a two-tone blue over white color scheme, and the other in a two-tone yellow over white color scheme, but interestingly, both were made without Continental Kit. Now I will have to look for one with the Continental Kit.

It is good to see someone posting on here once again. Thanks for sharing your modified Mercury.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:15 PM

I recently located, purchased, and received an M2 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser 2 door hardtop in white with yellow tail fin stripe with the Continental kit, much like the OP's example, and prompted by this thread. It makes a nice companion to my Turnpike Cruisers mentioned above but without the Continental kit. I noticed, however, that the doors align perfectly on this latest addition. I have no idea when each was made relative to each other, or whether the examples with poor door alignment were made before the ones with perfect door alignment, and no one answered my question above about the chronology of these different models. It is interesting to me that while you were busy removing the Continental kit from your Mercury, I was looking to acquire one with the Continental kit. Thank you for the information.