Legacy Motors Presents FORUM 64
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 AM

Default New member from Maine

Hello everyone:

I am a newbie to this forum, although not a complete newbie to collecting diecast models. I have lurked here for a while now, and finally decided it was time to join. My name is Steve, I live in southern Maine, I am 65 years old, soon to be 66, and am considering retiring in the not-too-distant future. I have many collecting interests, the most passionate of which is numismatics (coin collecting). I have always had an interest in cars, though, and grew up at a time, like many/most of you here, when any self respecting kid could stand on a street corner and name every passing car by make, model, and year, and if given a second or two could readily identify the 8 cylinder cars from the 6 cylinder ones. Any 'foreign' car was rare, as virtually all cars on the road in those days were from the Big 3 in Detroit.

I collect mostly American car models, from the 1930's through the 1960's, as these are the cars I remember from my childhood. Most of them are Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler products of all models, but I also include the classic Packards, Duesenbergs, Cords, Hudsons, Studebakers, Tuckers, and others, plus a few foreign cars which interest me, like Porsches, Rolls Royces, Mercedes, and Ferraris. I have only been collecting them for about two years now, but have assembled a nice collection of 480 cars, all displayed in ten Carney display cases. I collect 1:64 scale simply because of size and space considerations, fully aware that the larger scale models offer greater detail. And collecting 1:64 diecast models has one significant advantage over collecting early United States Federal silver coins: it is a hobby which can easily be shared with one's grandchildren.

I look forward to communicating with many of you here on the forum, and to sharing ideas and comments.