Legacy Motors Presents FORUM 64
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Old 02-17-2017, 02:39 PM

Default M2 1957 Mercvury door alignment attempt.

Door alignment correction, partial correction.

All I did was to open door, and try to bend it down for a better fit. While it has an improved fit, its still not as good as it can be. Im concerned about snapping it off, but the M2 hinge is fairly substantial. It needs to go down a tiny bit more, and more difficult, needs to close a bit tighter. Perhaps the real fix might be to remove the door completely, and just epoxy it closed.

Im being quite fussy here, and remember, these are enlarged photos, and without my glasses, it looks like a perfect fit now.

Before:

After:

Old 02-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Looking at the near perfect results you obtained with the door alignment, I would be inclined to leave things where they are, rather than tempt fate with another 'adjustment'. The cast metal of these models tends to be somewhat brittle, and not malleable, and could easily break if stressed further. The door alignment looks good as is.

I wonder if M2 made two different vintages of these models, one with the Continental Kit like yours, but with poor door alignment, and a later series without the Continental Kit but with improved door alignment like the two examples in my collection. Do any of our more experienced members have any insight on this?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:50 PM

Default Maybe I'll just leave it alone...

I do think you are correct. The metal in these model is brittle, and while I did get it to bend slightly, its a fine line between a slight bend and disaster. For now, I'll work on the other side and bend it into a better position.

What I should do is to take another set of photos, or edit the ones I did to a smaller size, more like the original model. That way, the alignment issue does not get exaggerated by the larger than life photos.

Sorry so few collectors post here, yet many posts have had over a thousand views. We all learn by sharing. If you are a visitor, please join our group and lets hear from you. There is lots of activity here, but only a tiny fraction sharing.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:37 PM

I have been a member for many years,but had to get a fresh registration,so I may seem fairly new.I would love to post pictures of some of the modified cars I have done,but it is a lot different now.Pictures cannot be posted directly,etc.It is one of the reasons I have moved to other sites.I like your articles,and customizing,but never post much.I liked the old site much better.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 AM

Default Hello!

Yes, posting photos on this forum is unnecessarily complex. I post lots of photos, but this is the most difficult site to post photos to. Even right here on Diecast.org, posting under Forum 1/24, 1/43 and Lounge are just a simple click. Not so here.

I'm relatively new here and came real close to just giving up it was such a difficult process. If you read the FAQ for photos, there is a file size limit depending on the type of file, gif, jpg, etc. For me, thtas a major issue as the editing software I use to resize does not tell me file size until I resize then close. Very time consuming to do trial and error. But, it can be done though a very frustrating process. I use Photobucket and add link from Photobucket. With Photobucket, or any photo host, you do not have the small Forum 64 file size limit. However, unlike Forum 24, 18 and Lounge right here where you just upload from your computer, its a mulitistep process for Forum 64 but it works. As such as I hate the process here on Forum 64, I still enjoy posting. I was not involved when Forum 64 was set up, and dont know the history on why it is so vastly different from other forums right here on Diecast.org. But, its a hobby, and I do enjoy sharing as different as Forum 64 is from the other forums here. .

It won’t change however, very little activity here, though TONS of collectors view posts.

Dont let the issues with photos keep you from visiting. I'd love to see your models, but fully understand how difficult it is to post photos here compared to other sites,

Thanks for visiting, and come back and post often, Photos are nice to have, but posts are welcome without them.

Last edited by mcjbob; 02-19-2017 at 01:47 AM.