Legacy Motors Presents FORUM 64
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Old 01-14-2015, 11:30 AM

Default Hello. Testing. Is this thing on?

I have been a little disappointed by the lack of activity on this forum since I joined last month. Just my posts, and a few helpful responses from Lee Barr, are the only posts I have seen here since I joined. Perhaps the holidays conflicted with hobby time? Or perhaps others felt that Lee adequately answered my questions, so there was no need to reply? Perhaps so, but I'm beginning to think that what we need is a 'chirping cricket' emoticon.

Maybe, to elicit more responses, I will ask a few newbie questions for the seasoned veterans here:

1. What is meant by "Chase" in the description of a diecast car?

2. What is meant by "8 Crate" in the description of a diecast car?

3. Is there any master list which shows what makes, models, and years of 1:64 diecast cars have been made by each of the various manufacturers?

4. Can anyone tell me if the following 1:64 diecast models have ever been made, and by whom:

1935 Ford
1939 Ford
1949 Ford
1952 Ford
1954 Ford
1958 Ford
1959 Fold
1962 Ford

1950 Chevy
1951 Chevy

1956 Buick
1958 Buick

I have several more, but these will suffice for now. Thank you in advance for any help you might offer in finding these.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 PM

I agree, it has gotten awfully dead around here. Not sure why. I usually check it almost every day but if there is nothing new to which to respond I just leave. As far as answering your questions, I pretty much a newbie myself but have picked up some information.

1. Chase cars - Lee or someone else can probably answer this technically better than I can but chase cars are usually specially produced, limited production cars that usually feature special paint jobs or other features. Because they are made in such limited quantities they are often highly sought after/chased after by collectors - hence the nickname 'Chase'

2. The only 8 crates I am aware of is a series of models made by Hot Wheels that are a combo of a 56-57 Ford wagon such as the example in the picture attached.

3. There are some websites that provide that kind of info for various manufacturers, usually maintained by private individuals or groups. I don't remember their links off the top of my head but I have a couple or so bookmarked on my computer at home. I will try to pull that info when I get home later today.

4. I am too much of a newbie myself to know the full scope of what may or may not have been made of the cars on your list so I will have to pass on this one. Sorry.

Duncan
Old 01-14-2015, 12:37 PM

Thank you, Duncan. It's nice to know there is someone else out there with similar interests. And thank you for your answers to my questions, too. I had no idea what "chase" meant, and now I know. And as I think of the '8 Crate' description, I have only seen it in relation to the 1956-1957 Ford wagons as you stated and as you pictured. I still do not know what '8 Crate' actually means, but you've provided at least a partial answer. I will wait to see what manufacturers' lists you can provide. Thank you, again.

56tbird
Old 01-15-2015, 01:13 AM

As mentioned earlier, here are a few of the links I have saved for my use -

Matchbox Models of Yesteryear: http://www.matchboxmemories.com

Matchbox database: http://mb-db.co.uk

Greenlight: http://www.glcollector.com

Johnny Lightning: http://www.jlcollector.net

Hot Wheels: http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide.html
(Note: Southtexas appears to have just recently totally redesigned their site and I haven't really used it as it is now. It appears you can scroll down until you get to the year or release you are looking for. The database is pretty complete so the chances are good whatever Hot Wheel you may be trying to find will be there. If all else fails, you can enter the car name/brand/model/release/whatever in the google search about halfway down on the left and probably find a particular HW car in that manner.

M2 Models: http://www.m2machines.com/products.html

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Nice catch Duncan.................................

Old 01-15-2015, 11:57 AM

Thank you, Duncan, for those links to manufacturers' websites, and listings of 1:64 diecast models. They should prove very valuable, and I will bookmark them for future reference.

One related question for anyone if I may. I mentioned in another thread that I collect primarily 1:64 diecast models of American automobiles from 1930 until 1970. I mentioned that would collect models of cars from the 1920's if I could find them. I know that Matchbox makes some of these in their "Models of Yesteryear" series, but my experience is that they tend to be slightly larger than 1:64, and therefore do not fit well into acrylic display cases made for 1:64 scale. Do others here find that the Models of Yesteryear Matchbox cars are larger than 1:64 scale?

\Thank you again, Duncan, for providing those links.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Administrator

trying to get a "true" 1:64 out of any manufacturer at any given time is like.............................................. .........................................

Buying for investment...........................

Now that said,I don't know squat about the Matchbox line but the cars of the twenties were pretty big.........I wonder if maybe that might have something to do with it? I mean even if the model were 1:60 (?)at the size of those old monsters it might just be enough to put them "outside the box"

Still waiting to see some pics of what you are talking about...............
1920's cars in 1:64 !!!!! How cool is that................................

Yeah..............we need some pics..........................

Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM

The scales for Matchbox's Models of Yesteryear (MOY) were all over the place. I think they used whatever scale they needed to to make them fit in the same size box. I've seen scales from 1/100 (usually bigger items like busses, etc) to 1/40, 1/50, 1/72, etc. As far as fitting into 1/64 size cases, I don't know, haven't tried. I think there is a fairly good chance they would but most of them would probably fill the case up pretty good, I suspect.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:52 AM

Lee,

Here are some examples of MB's MOYs. I love these things and collect them whenever I can.

[Scale 1:42]

[Scale 1:43]

[Scale 1:45] (Incidentally, this was my very first MOY I picked up at an 'antique' store)

[Scale 1:43 - I think. The same is also true for the models that follow]