Legacy Motors Presents FORUM 64
  New News New Releases List & Reviews Legacy Motors Auctions Forums Features Register FAQs Clubs
  Forum 24 ·  Forum 18 ·  Forum 43 ·  Forum 64 ·  The Lounge ·  Register ·  Help ·  Guidelines ·  Support Zone

Old 01-05-2015, 10:27 AM

Default New member from Maine

Hello everyone:

I am a newbie to this forum, although not a complete newbie to collecting diecast models. I have lurked here for a while now, and finally decided it was time to join. My name is Steve, I live in southern Maine, I am 65 years old, soon to be 66, and am considering retiring in the not-too-distant future. I have many collecting interests, the most passionate of which is numismatics (coin collecting). I have always had an interest in cars, though, and grew up at a time, like many/most of you here, when any self respecting kid could stand on a street corner and name every passing car by make, model, and year, and if given a second or two could readily identify the 8 cylinder cars from the 6 cylinder ones. Any 'foreign' car was rare, as virtually all cars on the road in those days were from the Big 3 in Detroit.

I collect mostly American car models, from the 1930's through the 1960's, as these are the cars I remember from my childhood. Most of them are Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler products of all models, but I also include the classic Packards, Duesenbergs, Cords, Hudsons, Studebakers, Tuckers, and others, plus a few foreign cars which interest me, like Porsches, Rolls Royces, Mercedes, and Ferraris. I have only been collecting them for about two years now, but have assembled a nice collection of 480 cars, all displayed in ten Carney display cases. I collect 1:64 scale simply because of size and space considerations, fully aware that the larger scale models offer greater detail. And collecting 1:64 diecast models has one significant advantage over collecting early United States Federal silver coins: it is a hobby which can easily be shared with one's grandchildren.

I look forward to communicating with many of you here on the forum, and to sharing ideas and comments.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Hey Steve...............welcome to forum 64..........take your shoes off and get comfy and look around...............................

Not much going on here,but I'm here every day and eager to see your collection......................

I too collect the years you are interested in but I continue through the sixties.

My collection has 1:18,1:24 and 1:64 Sorry not much in Hot wheels .......

First round is on me...........................

Couple M2 1:64's.............

Lee

Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Thank you for the welcome, Lee. I'm sure I am going to enjoy it here. After looking through several threads, it is apparent there is a lot of experience and knowledge represented here, and much to be learned. I can see that I need to rectify one problem, however, after looking at the photographs of your great cars. It seems that, at least at present, I am not equipped to photograph and post images of my collection. I recognize that sharing images of one's collection is a great part of what goes on around here. Incidentally, the 1957 Bel Air in turquoise and white is one of my favorites, and the 1959 Caddy is another (I have it in white). I may have misled you on the years that I collect, however, in that I also collect models from the 1960's (1930's through the 1960's). My cut-off is pretty much 1970, although I do have a beautiful 1971 Grand Prix (JL), and a 1973 Trans Am 455 SD (also JL).

My collecting goal, at least at this point, is to collect 1:64 diecast models of all American car manufacturers for every year, from 1930 through 1970. I would also collect models from the 1920's if I could find them. One of my frustrations is that there are many makes and years for which I simply cannot find any diecast models (e.g., 1939, 1949, 1952, 1954, 1958, and 1959 Ford; 1955, 1956, and 1961 Plymouth; 1954, 1955, and 1956 Oldsmobile; 1952, 1953, and 1955 Mercury, to name just a few).

Virtually all of my models are 1:64 scale, although I do have a couple of 1:43 which I simply could not resist (1924 dual cowl Duesenberg; 1936 Ford pickup). With the increased detail now available in many 1:64 scale models, and because a large collection takes up significantly less space in the smaller scale, I try to keep them all 1:64.

I was amused by your comment about Hot Wheels, and must confess that I do include several Hot Wheel models in my collection. However, I prefer those by Johnny Lightning, Auto World, Castline (M2), Greenlight, Racing Champions, ERTL, Revell, and even some from Yatming and Welly. It has been my experience that almost any manufacturer can produce nice and accurate models on occasion.

Again, I thank you for the welcome to the forum, and for all you do to support it. It is my hope to see increased activity here, and although, as a newcomer, I would not presume to provide much seasoned knowledge and experience, perhaps some of my newbie questions will serve as a catalyst to get things going.

Last edited by 56tbird; 01-05-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Steve,I must confess as well............
I also have a few HW's in my collection, not to many maybe a hundred........
I also collected the cars cars from the first Disney Pixar movie "Cars".
HW.........

I to have some early JL, IMHO they look good on the shelf but the camera "SEES ALL".......................
JL

Not to mention Maisto, Jada and stuff that I don't even know what they are.............LOL

What I have always been told is this...............

"Buy what you like,like what you buy and never buy for investment"..........

Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 PM

I very much enjoyed the images of cars from your collection. The two post-war Fords are favorites of mine - the 1946 maroon woody convertible and the 1949 woody station wagon (my first Ford from my birth year) - are nice examples of what Hot Wheels can do, although I could do without the surf board on the roof. I just purchased these two in a set this past week. Unlike you, however, I have not added any of the Disney Pixar vehicles to my collection.

I prefer models which depict 'stock' examples of the cars they represent, and tend to stay away from street rods, customized, or heavily modified examples. For this reason, models such as 'Muscle Machines' are not represented in my collection.

Your admonition to "Buy what you like, like what you buy, and never buy for investment" is very good advice, and a recommendation often heard in my other hobby of coin collecting. Certainly if one applies this philosophy in collecting diecast cars, they will not be disappointed when it comes time to sell. The 'return on investment' is found in the enjoyment while collecting, and in the appreciation of the cars while in your possession. That is perhaps why having our cars beautifully displayed is so important to most of us. If diecast cars do not appreciate much in value over time, then perhaps it is up to us to do the appreciating.

That is another significant difference between collecting diecast cars and collecting rare coins. Coin collectors would never dare to even have their coins at home, let alone prominently display them on shelves or in wall-mounted display cases. Security from theft is a constant consideration. Diecast cars, on the other hand, are somewhat larger than coins, individually, and they generally do not have the individual high values that coins do, so they are not as attractive targets as coins tend to be. For this reason, diecast collectors can feel a little more secure about having large and prominent displays of their cars in their homes, rather than be subjected to short, infrequent visits with their treasures in a bank vault.

I have numerous other comments and questions I would like to ask, but perhaps this "New Members" forum is not the proper place. I will post some comments in the 1/64 scale forum.